Plastic chairs may develop cracks after it has been used for a long term. The cracks can develop on the back or even the legs. We understand that you may not want to discard the chair because of a minor crack. So, we do get a lot of queries about repairing the broken plastic chair. Before proceeding further, we would like to mention that the procedure listed below worked well for us. It is a tried and tested method to fix the broken plastic chair. Go ahead and check out the pointers below. Before start we advice you always purchase good brand plastic chairs.
Items Needed for Fixing the Chair
- Baking Soda
- Isopropyl Alcohol
- Super Glue
Steps to Fix Broken Plastic Chair
- Lay the chair flat on the ground and ensure that the crack is parallel to the floor. Ensure that you are wearing gloves to minimize exposure to chemicals.
- In the next step, use the isopropyl alcohol to clean the surface. This will remove all the dust, and it will ensure that the super glue bonds properly.
- Now, apply glue between the cracks and across the surface. Once you use the glue, hold the pieces together for 30 seconds.
- Once the crack is held together, pour baking soda on the crack and cover the glue’s layer with the baking soda. You can use your figure to spread the baking soda and cover the crack.
- Leave it for 30 minutes and once the mixture is dry, brush away the unglued baking soda. You can now flip the chair and repeat the whole procedure on the backside.
- Next, you need to remove the excess baking soda and sand both sides to get a smooth finish. You can get a smooth finish after the sanding is complete.
- If you want to restore the original look of the chair, you can also repaint the plastic chair, and you can refer to other sections of our website to understand how to paint a plastic chair.
This is the easiest way to fix the broken plastic chair. You can repaint the chair after you have fixed it. One general piece of advice is that you must not try and fix the broken leg. Fixing the leg can still be worrisome since the plastic may crack again. This can lead to injury if the chair snaps when you are sitting on it. You should only opt for the fix if the crack is in the back or on the armrest.